Saturday, November 24, 2012

How to make a cool charge cap for $60



I wanted to share the charge port I put on my Miata.  Most conversion use the place for the gas filler.  




While this works well I didn't want that for my conversion because I wanted to have my charge port to be mounted up front instead of the back.  I wanted this for a couple reasons:



1st: is because I was mounting my charger up front and didn't want to run the 220V wiring from back to front

2nd: I wanted the charge port in my line of sight to prevent the possibility of driving away while plugged in (there are electronic safeties too)

3rd: This is just cooler

The standard NEMA L14-30 works fine but will collect debris, water, snow, etc and leaves a lot do be desire aesthetically. 


So I looked for a housing that would protect the connector and dress it up.  After much searching for caps that were either too small or too expensive.  Then I came across 1967-68 Barracuda 1967 GTX 1968 Charger Flip Top Fuel Cap.  I picked a used one up for $40 that was in great shape but new reproductions run around $100.  You can also get one for the charger which should work too (I don't care for the looks

When I got the cap I was pleasantly surprised to find that the outlet fit perfectly inside the cap!




I only had to do a little trimming for the hinge and drilled one hole in the plug housing and it was ready to install. 



I potted the plug into the cap with some black silicone to make it weather tight and make a cleaner looking install.  The nice spring loaded rubber seal that the cap has to keep the gas in does a great job of keeping moisture out.  So for $60 I had a cool looking cap.



I had mounted in the hood I need to make provisions for the hood moving so a spring was added to keep it from binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment