Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Spring cleanup

This weekend between me, my son and a buddy I was able to wrap up some more big items to get the car track ready:


I found the original RR strut was blown after sitting all winter so decided it was time for those used KYBs I bought in the fall but then I found one had a dented tube, after I installed it L. So I ordered a new one and put it in



The KYBs seem pretty good.  I am still sitting higher in the rear then I would like.  I will eventually redo it all with a set of FM V-Maxx Classic coil overs http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?stocknumber=13-16210%20%201990-97%20NB) because I can really dial in the ride height.  I plan to move the charger to the rear and some more batteries in back too which will help but for now it’s fine.



I also replaced the pads with some hawks and flushed the brakes with ATE SuperBlue.  Now the brakes are really nice.



I also finished securing the battery packs and putting covers on the terminals
.
Since this weekend the snow was gone and the weather was perfect I got the car out and started doing some real pulls, getting some data, and slowly upping the current and voltage.  I live out in the sticks so it’s pretty easy to find a straight stretch of road with no traffic that I can do 0-60 times.  So far the controller has been set to at 500 amps and 120V but after a hour or two of driving and reviewing the data logs I went up to 150V and 800amps on the motor. Now the cars is fun! :) The best part was strapping the car seat in and taking my 5 year old son for a spin.



 I am holding off going to the full 1000a and 160V to keep the pack limited to 12C. At 12C and only 30% SOC the back sags about 15% which is on par with a CA series CALB.  I still have one of the modules out of the car with the bad cells.  Once/if I put them back in then I’ll try going to 1000a.
I got my boss frog double hoop Maxx roll bar and they take their packing and shipping seriously.



I like the look of the double hoop but I HAD to have something that was a real piece of safety equipment, otherwise there was no point.  This car is going on the track and boss frog is the only one that is SCCA and FIA. http://www.bossfrog.biz/Miata_Rollbars.html



The installation was pretty straight forward and only took about 4 hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment