Saturday, April 14, 2012

Getting the charge on the charge card

A bit of an update on the project.  I haven't done much on the actual build due to the adapter woes but I have spent a fair bit of money.
 
I ordered and received my batteries!  250 A123 cells with full tabs.  I really wonder when the delivery driver looked at the shipment he had thoughts of being used as a drug mule.  :)

 
The bad news is my PL6 died but the good news is the warranty replacement is supposed to arrive Monday.  Once it arrives I will start taking data and post the results here:
 
 
I got my cable and crimper and connectors so I can start making up my cables.  I was able to find a good US made bench top manual crimper, new for a decent price.  Luckily for me the seller didn't do a good job of describing it on ebay and it took 30 minutes of websurfing to find out exactly what it was.  http://www.uzengprod.com/ I wanted a crimper that, when used with the right terminals, would be UL listed and would have at least 3 crimp points.  I did some searching and found most lug install specs require a minimum of 3 crimp points (NASA says 4 but this isn't a spacecraft :) so that eliminated all of the cheap crimpers except the the Chinese green lee hydraulic knock offs.  I will gladly spend a few extra buck for an American made product.
 
 
The connectors are new Molex lugs and the cable is very good 2/0 bright orange cable (safety requirement for first responders) that I ordered from Trystar.  I like to buy in bulk and so I have enough to do 4 or 5 cars.  I am thinking about offering to make cables for whom ever doesn't want to go out and buy a good crimper and do it themselves.  When I did the Leadwing I used a battery cable company but they were pricey for cables over a few feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment