Saturday, May 19, 2012

It is ALIVE!

Well after triple checking everything I decided it was time to make the wheels spin.  The controller was all wired up but I still have to put my A123 pack together.  Luckily I happened to have a few old 24V SLA batteries literally lying around.  So I threw a battery in the the passenger seat and hooked up my jumper cables and slowly drove it out the garage!  :)





One battery was enough to make it move but not much more then that.  So I grabbed a few more batteries out of the backyard and whipped up a quick 96VDC pack.




I drove the car up and down the drive and slowly upped the limits for the motor voltage (120V) and current until I was spinning the rear wheels on the gravel.   Finally the fun ended when I got on the go pedal and the car lurched to a stop with a faint wiff of acrid spoke!!!!  My first concern was that I done something to the Soliton1 but I should have known better.  A quick check showed one of the batteries had shorted internally, the second battery my Soliton1 has sent to it's grave.  Not  too surprising considering they are 6 year old mistreated lead acid batteries.  I simply moved the jumper cables over and drove the car into the garage under 72VDC.




No comments:

Post a Comment