Sunday, May 6, 2012

Motor is in!

Well after a hour or two of driving around I was finally able to find the bolts I needed at Lowes.  M12 1.75 x 25mm Class 8.8s...

I torqued them to 75ftlbs in criss-cross pattern.  To hold the motor while I did I stuck a screw drive between the cooling fins and the fan (very carefully).  I originally was trying to hold the other shaft end but it wasn't working for me.  Probably not the best way but I was not sure how others do it and no harm was done.


Then a clutch install was pretty straight forward.  Without a pilot bearing in this adapter you can't use the alignment tool so I did my best to get the clutch centered.


Then it was time to put the motor into the car.  The goofy grin come from holding a 200lb motor while someone says smile to take a picture.  BTW I recommend most people use a hoist, or at least steel toe'd boots. :-)


The motor went in easily.  I just dropped it into the cradle and slid it home.  It fit in nice but it took some wiggling to get both dowel pins lined up.

A couple things I noticed when I wen to bolt everything up.  The first was the adapter is tapped so the bolts have to install from the rear, just like the ICE.  I was originally designing around the plate adapter so I was planning on having the bolts install from the front with a nut on the back.  With the tapped holes this isn't a option.

This lead to the second issue was I was having problems tightening all of the bolts.  I would start them by hand (you do NOT want to cross thread the aluminum adapter) and pretty easily tightening the bolt but then it would start feeling like it was binding.  At first I thought I didn't have the adapter quite lined up so I spent an hour fiddling with the adapter then it dawned on me that the problem was the holes are blind tapped and I was bottoming out the bolts.  I was checking that I wasn't running out of grip but hadn't thought about the OAL.  Not sure why I am bottoming these out (which are the stock bolts) but it's back to the hardware store tomorrow.  So far installing the motor I have spent more time tracking down bolts then actual turning a wrench.  :) But hey it's in... (mostly)




No comments:

Post a Comment