Saturday, March 17, 2012

The conversion begins.

Well today the conversion started in earnest.  I was waiting for my adapter and hub to come but I got the answer of "it'll be done next week" for the third time.  I saw someone post that Electric Car Company could not get a delivery date right to save their lives and I am having to agree.  :-(

Anyway I got tired of waiting and so I started tearing the car down.  I wanted to have everything but the pack kitted before I started, but what the heck...  I pulled the exhaust first along with the convertible top, emptied out the truck.  


This was 131lbs removed from the car!  I then turned my attention to the front where I pulled the radiator, A/C PS, headers, etc.  I was surprised how relatively easy everything came out.  It's nice not having every nut and bolt rusted solid. :) 




So after 3 hours of work I now have the engine all disconnected and as soon as I locate a engine hoist I will pull the long block.



It helped having my 3 year old son "working" with me.  :)


Another 75lbs of parts plus a couple gallons of fluid means I have easily dropped 200lbs that is not going back into the car.



One part I will be saving and reusing is the AC accumulator.  It will make a good reservoir for the electric vacuum pump I am using for the brakes.  It's a little small but it's light, has fittings and a mount already, and it was free.



Interesting thing I found was the AC compressor was MISSING.  Something the previous owner blatantly lied about when he said the AC worked. :-/ There were quite a few things about this car that would have been a real pain had I not been converting it.  You would think a Pre-Law grad would have had better ethics...  never mind...

On the bright side a guy bought the stock catback for $50 (got to love CL) and I found a place that will buy the catalytic converter for $90 (scrap platinum).

No comments:

Post a Comment